Growing Our Church Family
 813-621-2766  
  ~ Faith, Family, Fellowship

The History of Our Church

Mount Olive Missionary Baptist Church was founded in 1949 in a storefront on East Palifox Ave. by a few devoted Christians with Rev. Levi Nelson as Pastor. As the church progressed, the Lord led them to purchase property on North 44th Street to build a small edifice for worship service. Later, they purchased and moved to the current location at 4008 E. Cayuga. Following Rev. Nelson’s service as Pastor, the following pastors served our church, Rev. Howard, Rev. Parish and Rev. Mac Williams.

 

In 1959, the Holy Spirit directed the Church to call Rev. C. P. Epps, a young minister, to preach for them. He accepted the invitation and was later called to be the Pastor of Mount Olive. Under his leadership, Mount Olive began to grow. They paid off their mortgage and enlarged the Church on both sides. In 1975, they purchased property from the Brown family and marched into another edifice.

We're Now On Youtube
To accommodate growth, the annex was moved back across the street in 1978 into the little white church. The annex wing in the new edifice was opened for seating due the growing membership. The Greco family donated valuable property to Mount Olive. The Church also purchased property from Powell’s Cleaners on the corner of Cayuga and 40th Street.

 

Mount Olive marched into the current edifice in 1992. During the construction process, Sunday Worship was held at Williams Elementary School. The Church paid off the 15-year mortgage in 1998, proudly taking just six years. In 2005, the Church held the ground breaking for the new education building. The New Dr. C. P. Epps Education Building Dedication Services were held on November 19, 2006. Our church celebrated the mortgage burning of the Education Building on July 12, 2009.

 

On November 30, 2011, after 52 years of loyal and dedicated service as Pastor of Mount Olive, Rev. Dr. C. P. Epps retired. In December 2011, Rev. Michael V. White was chosen as pastor of Mount Olive Missionary Baptist Church, and was installed as pastor January 22, 2012.

 

Under the leadership of Pastor White, a dynamic new vision became a reality for the church. New landscaping, playground for the kids, stage lights and new lighting for sanctuary, state-of-the-art sound system and sound booth, window treatments, a digital sign, new logo for the church, nursery, computer lab, combine choirs, remodeled restrooms, a new foyer and new monitors were installed to enhance the spiritual experience and modernize the church for the new generation.

 

Most recently, our church incorporated under the name “Mount Olive M. B. Church, Inc.” and we’ve launched this new website to better serve the online needs of the community. Learn about memorable events for our church or contact us for more information.